Sunday, May 30, 2010

The troubling features of My Oracle Support as of March 8 2010

The classic metalink was retired during the weekend of November 6-8, 2009. My Oracle Support was in trial before then and I tried and did not like it. So I continued to use metalink until the cutoff date. After November 6-8, I did not have the choice although I hate My Oracle Support. I have compiled following features in My Oracle Support which I believe are troubling ones.

1. The first login page does not show me username/password fields but a sign-in button. I need to click the sign-in button and navigate to another page for username/password fields.
2. after login, I have to wait for a long time as the system is loading the dashboard.
3. The dashboard is confusing as there is too much info in it.
4. cannot use backspace button in SR upload message and SR: contact fields.
5. Service Request: radio button for technical SR and Non-Technical SR: should use check box. I want to display all of my service requests.
6. patch search: filter platform or language, not both.
7. session timeout: My Oracle Support Services Error: A server connection error occurred: IO Error #2032 Please try again later: should direct me to login page
8. logoff is slow than close the browser and start-over again.
9. Family pack and min-pack: does not include a link or pointer to more patches needed on top of these packs.
10. Talked to some Oracle reps in Sales, Education, Support etc. A lot of people know the problems with My Oracle Support, but no fix yet.
11. can not use the browser’s backpage button
12. service request updated (three choices during SR creation: update to SR, email, and phone): when choosing email option, analyst updated the service request and then My Oracle Support generated following email to me:

Please note that your Service Request Number 3-1220691331 has been updated. To view the update, please access My Oracle Support at https://support.oracle.com/ and choose the Service Requests tab.

Why not send me the actual updates?

13. service request escalation: there is no easy way to call analyst’s manager (no phone number or manager’s email address) or request for escalation. It is worse than metalink. In metalink, we know who is the manager for the support analyst.

In summary, the GUI design is total unacceptable. It is slow. The navigation is confusing and common keyboard features got disabled.

The GUI design follows same pattern as Oracle EBS. Comparing to Google’s web design, Oracle really needs to hire some product managers from Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment